A Funeral Playlist??

Yes, a funeral playlist.

Hey guys, gals, and nonbinary pals.

 Today's gonna get a little depressing. Because today this post is about death. No, I'm not going to die soon (I think). And neither is PJ. But the other night (aka a month ago), PJ and I got back from dinner talking to his grandmother (who is in her 70s) and we'd discussed funerals and death a bit. Nothing too depressing, just some jokes like, "We'll play some Tupac at your funeral when you die in, like, 20 years" and her scowling because she doesn't like rap. That kind of light-hearted stuff. But we ended up talking about songs to play at her funeral, and it got me thinking about what songs I'd like played at my eventual funeral. Y'know, like what kind of songs represent me? What songs would I want to buried and mourned to? That sort of thing (light-hearted, right? 😜). SO, I made a sweet playlist (which you can check out down below).

 

 Yeah, sweet, right? Let me go through some of the songs, since I'm sure you (and my mother) are a little horrified about the song choices. Also, this playlist was put together at random, so a shuffled play is preferred when listening πŸ™Œ

1. Hallelujah - Panic! At the Disco
Dudes, I had to have at least one Panic! song on here. The only shame is that I couldn't find a FOB song I really liked. Maybe I'll add Centuries sometime later or something. Anyways, I figured Hallelujah was a good song to add. It showcases Brendan's lovely vocals and has a good tune to it. Plus the lyrics:

Then the time for being sad is over
And you miss 'em like you miss no other
And being blue is better than being over it

They're kind of how I feel. I hope that people will stop grieving and return to their lives after a short period; but, like, I also know that being sad is better than being numb. So I want people to express their feelings, but to actually go through them, not just go numb and set them aside.

 2. Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright
Ah, the sweet memories of Shrek! Kidding aside, I love this song. This is one song that I tried to memorize all the lyrics and even spent several hours (during different days) to practice the song in my bathroom and record myself singing over and over again until I was satisfied with my voice. The soft voice, the crescendos and decrescendos... And the lyrics are nice as well. I just love this song so much.

 3. Have I Told You Lately That I Love You - Michael Buble
Again, had to include at least one Buble song in this playlist. TBH, I know this song will break some people at the funeral. I'm already tearing up listening to it as I type this, and I'm still alive! I just love slow, not too sappy songs. Especially done in Michael Buble's voice (*swoon*). And I love this genre of music. Which not a lot of people know about me. Like, when someone asks, "What music do you listen to?" I'd say Panic, Fall Out Boy, and whatever is on the radio usually. But I love Buble and Louis Armstrong and Ray Charles (select songs from each anyways). Anyways, I chose this song partly because I know it'll break certain people (PJ particularly), but I feel like in life, no matter how many times I say it, "I love you" just doesn't carry the same weight as you'd think it should. So, this is my final "I love you" to my family (and whatever few friends I'll have who show up).

 4. She Had the World - Panic! At the Disco
Remember me saying I needed at least one Panic song? Yeah, I included about 3. This song is from the Pretty. Odd. album, which is my least favorite Panic album. Why? It reminds me of the 60s, laid-back aesthetic/music, which I don't like very much. But I do like this song. It has a story (even if disjointed) and, again, the tune of it is nice. And Brendan's voice.... 😍 But the lyrics, "Who could love me? I'm out of my mind," are very similar to my mindset most of my teen/adult life so far due to my constant battle with depression and anxiety and mental health issues. This song resonates with me, and I wish I could have been the girl who held the world.

 5. Impossible Year - Panic! At the Disco
Brendan's voice that sounds melancholic, yet soulful. It's a song of memories, of loneliness, of missing someone who was important to you. I feel like this will definitely resonate with the mourning people at my future funeral.

 6. Save the Last Dance for Me - Michael Buble
"What does an upbeat song about dancing and having fun have to do with your funeral?" I hear you asking. Well, this song is dedicated to both my husband. Because I want him to eventually have fun again after I'm gone, but I want him to know that even when I'm gone, I'll still expect him to return to my arms for our last dance. (It's poetic.)
Fun Fact: This song was written by a man who was disabled. On his wedding night, he had to spend the night in his wheelchair but enjoyed watching his new wife having fun laughing and dancing with others. And he wrote this song because he knew that she could dance with anyone and have fun but at the end of the night, she'd be in his arms.

 7. Dream a Little Dream of Me - Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald
I love this song. Like, my heart swells with emotion and happiness whenever I hear this song. In any form or cover. It's the whole feeling of "no matter what, I'll always miss you and love you and I can't wait to see you again". But this one includes Armstrong's beautiful trumpet playing, and Ella's soulful voice. It's one of those other songs that I've spent hours practicing in the bathroom because it made me happy and I wanted to do it justice. Even if it was only me who could hear it.

 8. Let's Call the Whole Thing Off - Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald You know when I first heard Louis Armstrong's voice and trumpet playing? In 90s romcoms. Yeah, seriously. And you know what? That was where I realized that I loved this genre of music. This music always makes me happy. And this song was played in one of my favorite 90s romcoms and it was my favorite part of the movie. So yeah, I'm adding it to my funeral playlist. Tomato and Tomahto that.
Fun Fact: this song was in When Harry Met Sally. But if you look up the soundtrack on Spotify, they have the wrong version of it.

 9. Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds
Now, what I'm about to say will anger a lot of people, but don't stop reading my blog just because of this one thing: I didn't like The Breakfast Club. Yes, yes, I know. How could I not love this wonderful masterpiece alongside Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink (movies I also didn't like)? Just not my taste. I was bored when I watched those movies, and Sixteen Candles seemed a little too ~crazy~ to be realistic. Sorry not sorry.
"Then why did you include it in your funeral playlist?" Good question. This song is probably the best thing that came out of that movie. And even then, only the part that they played in the movie is good enough. Also because I don't want people to forget about me. *shrug*
 10. Ding! Dong! The Witch is Dead - The Munchkins (Wizard of Oz)
Dark humor.

 11. Highway to Hell - AC/DC
I like rock. I like this song. Plus, when people think of death and the whole "Heaven/Hell" thing, most only think "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell". I don't like the song "Stairway to Heaven", so to Hell I go!

 12. Celebration - Kool and the Gang
Dark humor pt 2.

 13. Stand By Me - Ben E. King
It's a good song. It's a song about being brave and using others to help you be brave. The message resonates with me, and I love the music of this song.

 14. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
Have you seen that movie with Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon when Susan Sarandon had cancer and she and her partner split and Julia became her kids' stepmom? Yeah, this song was in it, and listening to this song reminds me of that movie and makes me want to cry. Because I remember this scene when cancer-ridden Susan Sarandon was dancing around and singing with her kids to make them feel happier and better and then she dies at the end. πŸ’” Also because I agree with the lyrics. Even when I'm dead, I'll still be there for PJ and our possible kids in the future and for my mom (if she's still alive at that point).

 15. Lay Me Down in Paper Hearts - SoCal VoCals
Tbh, when I first heard this song, I thought it was Pentatonix. But their vocals are very pleasant, and I like the idea of being laid to rest in paper hearts. I thought it was fairly death-themed. Unlike most of this playlist.

 16. I Want You Back - NSYNC
I'm not the only one who's had phases growing up right? Either way, when I was in 6th grade, I had an NSYNC phase. And I still like NSYNC. So I figured, maybe I should include a song or two of NSYNC in my funeral playlist? I figured this would basically resonate with PJ after I pass. Since I know he'll be heartbroken and I know he'll want me back when I die.

 17. Do Your Thing - NSYNC
I feel like this song is so underrated by NSYNC. It's basically telling the listener to never give up and that they should feel free to do their own thing. Whatever that thing is. "Don't listen to the haters, do your thang girl". Who knew a funeral could come with such a nice, uplifting message?

 18. Bye, Bye, Bye - NSYNC
Dark humor pt 3 - NSYNC edition!

 19. Call On Me - Starley, Ryan Riback
Another song to bring home the "even though I'm dead, I'll still be there for you". Also, I feel like it's also a positive message about expressing grief.

 20. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got a Swing) - Tony Bennett, Lady Gaga
Tbh, I think I'm like a 70 year old in a 21 year old's body. I just like this song. I like the jazz. And I hope this song helps to break up the heaviness of the funeral a bit.

 21. Missing You - All Time Low
Again, I liked the song and thought it'd be appropriate for a funeral. Especially since it's about missing someone and being there for each other.

 22. Never Forget You - Zara Larsson, MNEK
Also a song about losing someone and never being able to forget them. Another message I wanna bring home.

 23. Death by Glamour - Toby Fox
Okay, this is going to make me seem like a giant nerd. Yes, this is an Undertale soundtrack song. Yes, this is the song that plays when you fight Mettaton. I wanted something from Undertale, since I love Undertale so much. It's my ideal game (if you want, I'll post a separate post about Undertale and why it's the ideal game).

 24. Enormous Penis - Da Vinci's Notebook
This song is another song to disturb the mourning and make people smile and laugh. This song never fails to make me laugh. Also the idea that I have an enormous penis makes me giggle and I'm sure it'll bring some reluctant smiles at the funeral.
Thanks Eddie!

 25. Wait For Me - Allison Weiss
This song I found when I was looking for songs to add to my funeral playlist. I searched "Allison" hoping for a nice ballad to a girl named Allison. While I couldn't find one I liked, I decided to offhandedly listen to this song. And I figured, y'know what? This fits what I'm looking for. So instead of a ballad to a chick named Allison, this is a somewhat hopeful song about waiting for the one you love. Dedicated to my PJ ❤️

So there ya go! Do you have songs you'd want played at your funeral?

Comments